Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Skills I need to teach my Children

It is Tuesday morning already and I am a little worried that today may turn out to be as crazy as yesterday. I always seem to underestimate how long it is going to take me to do something.
Yesterday started out pretty good, I was up early and got things straightened out, but as the morning rolled along, I got a little lazier. Two of the kids had to be at keeper camp by 1:00 and they didn't wake up until 11am. (got to love preteens) I would have lived for a morning sleep in when they were little, but now there is so much to be done and they need to help. We got out the door on time to get the kids there, but they informed me they hadn't eaten any lunch, (on crazy days the big kids get their own) and half way to the turf, Olivia informs me she forgot her cleats. I can believe she could forget her gloves, or ankle guards or even her mouth guard but her cleats? So we drive home and now I know they are going to just make it and believe me, for this keeper coach, you don't want to be late! We actually got to the field where they normally play and the gate is locked,. they are in the lower field and they have to get over the fence. I think I have touched on every life skill with my kids. Or so I thought. My kids cannot climb over a fence. This was not a high fence, but a chain link fence that they could just quickly get themselves over. I think I have sheltered them, or not let them out of my sight enough to let them master this skill. It took them almost 15 minutes to navigate their way over. Mark was scared to catch his whoo hoo which I get, and Olivia was scared to do damage to the fence. That is the first born in her, but I would love her to lose a little of her Type A once in a while. This was one of those moments. The other kids who were a little on the edge of being late too, just heisted themselves over and away they went, they didn't want the "wrath of George". I am driving them to the lower field today and we are going to be there 20 min early just in case the gate is locked and they have to do a little fence navigating. I think I need to get them some lessons...

No comments: